Sunday, January 4, 2015

Happy New Year 2015

Fog at Bald Peak State Park, January 2014

Now that the December holidays are behind us, it's time to throw out the extra eggnog, put all those decorations away, and finish up the leftover fruitcake; or save it for next year! It's also time for me to start making a new calendar of the best wildflower places to visit, starting in early Spring. As most of you know, our Northwest area has many climate/geographical zones, making for a huge variety of flora to track down. Good thing I'm still a youngster!

One of my goals for this year is to explore new areas in the Northwest, both for hiking and photography. Well, we could throw in biking and disc golf as well, as all these activities are things I enjoy doing outdoors. I don't really have a wish list of specific wildflowers to find, but there are a few specific areas I want to visit this year, such as Northeast Oregon and the Northern Cascades in Washington. But then, any area that has flowers is a possible candidate for a visit.

Another goal I have is to get my wildflower journal website up and running. Such a website would allow me to index and cross-reference the plants and flowers on my ever growing list. This blog would still be ongoing, but it would live under the website as well. So, we'll see how that goes - my theory is that in winter I'll have the time to build it. But we all know how those kind of plans sometimes go astray.

In closing, I would like to let you know about a local, timely, and interesting plant-wildflower-themed exhibit at the Washington County Museum, here in Hillsboro. It's called "In the Footsteps of David Douglas," and presents a small view of his plant studies in the Northwest, circa 1825-1833. The exhibit shadows Jack Nisbet's recent book, "David Douglas, A Naturalist at Work," which I read last year. Mr. Nisbet will give a free talk about David Douglas on February 11. See link below for information.

The exhibit also features several local artists work of native wildflowers and plants and will be in the museum until May.


Exhibit wall and portrait of Mr. Douglas and Mr. Nisbet

Map of plant discoveries

Pacific Madrone by Rene Eisenbart


Links:


Washington County Museum

David Douglas Wiki Page

Jack Nisbet's Web Page



No comments:

Post a Comment