Thursday, June 11, 2015

Critter Corner

We all have small things in life that drive us crazy. For me, one of the top annoyances is intentionally misspelled business names, such as Krispy Kreme, Stanley Steemer, Kraft, or any place/event that ends in "Faire" instead of "Fair." And I am not alone in this camp. I found many postings about this very subject. One has to wonder why the good folks who come up with these names did so. Perhaps it was ignorance or medical marijuana - who knows? I do know that I avoid spending any money at these places! So when I started writing this post I briefly considered "Kritter Korner" as a weak form of sarcasm, but I resisted that temptation, fearing I would become one of them.

Some may consider this spelling preoccupation of mine to be old hat - and they may be right. Just take a look at the list of rock bands playing in Portland at any given time. More than half of those band names are intentional misspellings and/or quirky word pairings. Misspelled band names have been around for years though: just think of the Beatles! Oddly, these don't bother me, perhaps because it's artsy or I just expect it.

Ok, 'nuff sed! Much more enjoyable for us wildflower fans is being out in the field, not worrying about spelling. As we wander among the blooms and trails we often encounter small critters in addition to the flora. These are generally insects, birds, and an occasional snake.

So in the spirit of giving a hats off to the fauna of the land, this post is dedicated to those critters. Follow the link below for the complete critter gallery on my photo website.


Red Bellied Sap Sucker at Fanno Creek

Butterfly at Cooper Mountain Park

Elk at Ecola State Park

Garter Snakes at Jackson Bottom

Critter Corner Gallery

No comments:

Post a Comment