Thursday, February 11, 2016

For the Team

A recent bout with some kind of flu bug in our home left me grounded for a couple of weeks. I was bleary-eyed and needing at least one good nap a day. Hopefully, the nasty virus died off here at home and the unwilling host (me) will somehow benefit from the ordeal. Once the worst was over, I caught up on some reading and TV, including the obligatory Groundhog Day movie on that day. In my half-baked condition this movie was more enjoyable than usual. Meanwhile, at our local zoo, Velda the African pygmy hedgehog predicted an early spring. A few days later, after all that excitement, I ventured outside for a short walk.

My first impression was cautionary - "what happened to winter?!"  The day was fairly warm, the yellow crocus in our yard were blooming, and the daffodils are about eight inches up and the buds are swelling. Velda was right - at least for now - it seems more spring-like than winter.

Next day I managed to get to a local park and walk a mere half mile loop while my support staff ran errands. It turns out my slow pace on this little outing was beneficial, as I spotted some odd fungus and a tiny newt along the way (photos below).

Newts are semi-aquatic amphibians that are part of the salamander family. The Rough-skinned newt I found on this day is common in western Oregon and usually lives near water and rotting wood. They are colorful, yet can blend in well with the ground cover. These newts have an interesting adaptation with their main predators: garter snakes. The newt has a toxic secretion on its skin that keeps other predators away. But the garter snake has developed a tolerance to the toxin and will eat the newts anyway. Fear not, the tiny newt has the last laugh. Once eaten the newt's toxin gives the snake a specific chemical signature, which in turn can be detected by other newts, allowing them to flee. Of course the newt that was consumed has to take one for the team!

We'll see if the early spring will last - in the mean time watch your step on the riparian trails - the newts are out and about!


This Rough-skinned Newt is the only "non-slimy" salamander
in western Oregon. This one is only about four inches long but
can grow to eight. The skin secretes a toxin for protection.

Nearby, several clumps of Palomino Cup (Peziza repanda)
fungus are poking up out of the decaying wood and leaves.
To me, they resemble wontons, but they are inedible.

Crocus blooming on January 28.

No comments:

Post a Comment