Saturday, July 2, 2016

Word Games

No matter how old you are today, you may remember some of the children's word games used by teachers in class and stressed out parents on long road trips to pass the time. Some of these games were in booklets where you had to fill in the missing word to make a funny story; or perhaps you were given a list of random words from which you had to concoct a story. Since we have plenty of time on our hands down here at Wildflower Blog Central, I decided to try the latter, using some of the current blooms in our area.

So here goes; feel free to respond with your own story, which will no doubt, have more depth than ours!

"My long lost cousin, Stinky Bob, wrote to me, letting me know he was coming for a visit. I had not seen him for many years, but all my relatives warned me that his name was quite accurate. You might want him to stay in your garage, they said. I was skeptical, but they explained that cousin Bob had grown up in Yarrow, B.C. After school, the local kids were put to work in the fields, pulling up the dreaded Spotted Knapweed, which was so invasive, crops were suffering."

     

"They pulled the weeds until dark all summer for just a few dollars a day. This constant labor made Bob a bit of an angry boy, so he refused to take a bath. This went on for weeks, until his mother, Bunny Henderson, decided enough was enough. She and Bob marched down to the city hall and demanded to speak with the Director of Vectors, who was also in charge of weed control in the city."

"The clerks at city hall had to plug their noses due to Bob's extreme body odor. But at least this got the Director of Vectors to show up pronto. Mr. Cal Columbine is the name ma'am, how can I help you? As his nose twitched and eyes watered, he listened to Mrs. Henderson's plea about Bob. After a long pause Mr. Columbine agreed to grant Bob a permanent excused absence from weed pulling. You'll be doing us all a favor Mrs. Henderson. Now you head on over to Hemlock street and my maintenance boys over there will hose Bob down and get him cleaned up before the big street fair tomorrow. Bob said, shucks Mr. Columbine, I got me some Self Heal leaves back home for Saturday bath, and Ma will let me go first in the tub, right Ma?"

     


"Bob and his family were overjoyed with the news and from that day on, cousin Bob rarely had a stink about him - sadly though, the name stuck, like flies on fly paper. So I really was not too worried about his upcoming visit. But just to be sure, I went to Mr. Scouler's variety store and bought some fragrant potpourri for the house..."

Scouler's Bluebell - Campanula scouleri






2 comments:

  1. Your story made me laugh and I loved the accompanying pictures.When I was little I loved story books with pictures!

    ReplyDelete