Tuesday, December 30, 2014

New York Botanical Garden

You're probably thinking, "who visits a botanical garden on a cold, snowy day?" Well, as you may know, I was in New York city to see my 94 year-old father in late November-early December because he had taken a tumble a few weeks prior. Thankfully, he is doing well now. His rehabilitation facility is in the Bronx, only about four miles from the venerable New York Botanical Garden. Not going there would be a major oversight in my book, so visit I did - it was a cold day with a tiny bit of snow and sleet falling, but not enough to whine about. And there were hundreds of other brave souls there as well - this is a popular spot I discovered, even in bad weather!

Haupt Conservatory Main Hall

Popular photo stop at the garden!

Most folks were heading to the annual holiday model train show, which takes place inside the huge glass Conservatory. The show is one of their main fundraisers each year. The show features scores of plant-based replicas of well know New York landmarks such as the George Washington bridge and the Statue of Liberty. It's a unique world-class attraction that draws families year after year. I watched a 30 minute show about it on PBS while here, so I got to experience it without having to wait in line for 2 hours! Most visitors buy their tickets online and get a time to show up, thereby avoiding the wait.

Garden Map

It's a short walk from the "D" subway to the garden, which has been around since 1891 and covers 250 acres in the heart of the Bronx. Even in cold weather, there are several miles of paths to walk, and countless trees to admire. I was especially interested in checking out their new Native Plant garden, which opened last year. There was also an exhibit featuring flora art and historic books which was very interesting to someone like me; and it was indoors!

Water Features at Native Plant Garden

Flora Artwork and Book Exhibit

Rare book for sale in gift shop

This vast expanse is home to 50 different gardens, featuring all types of habitats and flora. I could easily spend several days here in warmer weather. So I do hope to come back in the Summer at some point. As I walked around I actually found a few blooming things, such as a winter Camellia. The garden is also a research center, has an impressive library, and a good cafe, where I absorbed my afternoon espresso!

Winter Moon Camellia

Seeds I purchased from the NYBG seed bank...

You can read much more about this fascinating place by visiting their website and searching on the web. It's worth checking out the Holiday Train show on YouTube as well, as there is nothing quite like it. If you have been to the garden, please comment on your visit below!

Other Flora in the Area

While in New York, there were a few sunny days when I walked around the parks near my father's place in Washington Heights. Fort Tryon Park is nearby and has a good view of the Hudson River in both directions. It was designed by Fredrick Olmstead Jr., the son of the Central Park architect. It has a notable history and is very popular with the locals.


Odd welcome to the park by author Val Lewton
      
Blooming Heather

Walking Paths

Late blooming Aster

Much of the park is solid rock

Plein Air Painter

Links:


NYBG website

Wikipedia article on the NYBG

YouTube excerpt from PBS show

Fort Tryon Park Info


No comments:

Post a Comment